Libya and Ethiopia in Prophecy
1. Jeremiah 46:9 “Come up, ye horses; and rage, ye chariots; and let the mighty men come forth; the Ethiopians and the Libyans that handle the shield; and the Lydians, that handle and bend the bow.”
2. Ezekiel 27:10 “They of Persia and of Lud and of Phut were in thine army, thy men of war: they hanged the shield and helmet in thee; they set forth thy comeliness.”
3. Ezekiel 30:5 “Ethiopia, and Libya, and Lydia, and all the mingled people, and Chub, and the men of the land that is in league, shall fail with them by the sword.”
4. Ezekiel 38-39 - Libya, (See 38:5) is one of the countries that join the alliance of nations against Israel in the “last days”. Ezekiel uses the name “Put or Phut” as the ancient Libos. Ancient Libos also included not only Libya but the territory of Algeria and possibly Tunisia.
5. Daniel 11 – Libya, (See 11:43) is one of the countries that will be under the control and direction of the Antichrist in “last days”. The people of “Cush”, which includes Sudan, Ethiopia and possibly Eritrea are other nations included in this alliance in addition to Egypt as well as other nations mentioned in Scripture.
1. Matthew 27:32-33 - It was a Libyan man, Simon of Cyrene (a part of ancient Libya) who carried the cross for our Lord Jesus.
2. Acts 2:10 – God-fearing men from Libya were present in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost and heard Peter preach the gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit and many of whom took this message back to their respective nations.
3. Acts 8:26-40 Philip, the evangelist witnessed to and baptized a man of Ethiopia who went on his way to Ethiopia rejoicing.
4. Acts 11:19-21 Libya (Ancient name was Cyrene) was one of the disciples who brought the gospel to Antioch, Syria.
5. Acts 13:1 Libya was the home of Lucius of Cyrene, who was one of the prophets and teachers at Antioch who were praying and fasting and to whom the Holy Spirit spoke, “Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them”. Lucius, along with Barnabas, Simeon, Manaen and Saul, were among those who sent out Barnabas and Saul “for the work whereunto I have called them”.
|© 2011 New Testament Church|